As a performing art, dance allows students both young and old to express their emotions through body movement. Participation can provide physical fitness, discipline and entertainment...but can also result in accident and injury. Many families have little or no medical insurance, and those who have coverage may be required to meet large deductibles before their insurance pays any benefits. In addition, studio owners run the risk of personal exposure to lawsuits through a participant's injury claim and liability insurance requirements mandated by lenders or landlords.
In 2012 over 2,300 individual Dance Schools and Studios were insured by FL Dean & Associates. This Specialty Insurance Program for Dance Schools and Studios is designed to help eliminate the financial and emotional burden one can incur as a result of a lawsuit or participant injury claim. Coverages offered include:
- Accident Insurance - which pays the medical bills of an injured player, coach or volunteer worker.
- General Liability Insurance - provides protection against claims of bodily injury liability, property damage liability, personal and advertising injury liability and the litigation costs to defend against such claims.
- Abuse or Molestation coverage is provided for claims arising out of physical abuse, such as sexual or other bodily harm and non-physical abuse, such as verbal, emotional or mental abuse.
- Professional Liability coverage includes services that involves specialized education, knowledge, labor, judgement and skill that is predominantly mental or intellectual.
- Inland Marine Coverage - Equipment coverage for all owned or rented sports equipment.
Additional optional coverages include hired and non-owned automobile liability coverage, higher abuse or molestation limit and additional limits of general liability coverage to satisfy the requirements of venues, school or park districts.